Sunday 25 July 2010

Launchpad

I met an Austrian on Friday night who said "Ah, Aberdeen...the grey city." Insisting on 'The Silver City', I met only scepticism. But if you haven't seen it in the sun...

That exchange helped me arrive at my blog title, along with some help from Iain Crichton Smith.

Aberdeen is the home that I chose. I'm currently expatriate though, having migrated south with my other half. During the year we've been away, I've been promising myself I'll start blogging, and here I am at last, ready to record reflections on the idea of home, culture clashes, expat living, language, teaching, books, films, or anything else that might interest me. Which doesn't mean I assume it will interest anyone else!

But I aim to write relatively thoughtfully. It's often assumed that English teachers are frustrated writers. I'm not sure if that's true of me. I haven't written anything seriously since I was at school myself, so as well as being a way of letting my proches know how I'm doing, this could be a training ground for my writing skills.

Hopefully I'll sparkle...

No comments:

Post a Comment